I am most definitely not a winter person. Between the bitter cold, hazardous driving conditions, and layers of clothes I’m forced to pile on – I just don’t see the appeal. And as if those complaints weren’t enough, my skin freaks out in the winter. My lips crack and peel like nobody’s business and my skin gets flaky and rough. This is something I’ve been dealing with for as long as I can remember, and while I still don’t have a perfect system, I am able to minimize the impact the cold weather has on my skin following this routine!
I’m starting with the boring one! I can’t wash my face again in the morning or my skin gets too dry, so I keep it super minimal.
- I splash my face with cold water then pat it dry.
- I rub a bit of coconut oil between my hands and put a thin layer on my face. It looks greasy for a little bit, but soaks in after several minutes.
- I have my yummy skin, hair, and nail vitamins from optimal solutions. These are delicious and I really do think they make a huge difference! For a huge throwback, I featured them in one of my first ever (slightly embarrassing) posts!
Like I said, my morning routine is boring. At night is when it’s exciting!
This is a little more intense. Still it’s not incredibly fancy, but it does make a difference!
- If I wore makeup I will take it off with a bit of coconut oil and a tissue or cotton ball.
- I use my Purity Made Simple Facial Cleanser by Philosophy every night! It is super gentle and doesn’t have any unnecessary ingredients that are going to dry my skin out any further. I’ve used this since I was sixteen and it’s my absolute favorite!
- Once or twice a week I will also use my Clarisonic Mia to exfoliate. In the summer I use it more, but my skin is just too sensitive in the winter. This really makes a huge difference in brightening up my skin and smoothing it out!
- If my skin has been acting up I will use my Dickinson’s Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner to tone and hopefully calm my skin down. I use this every single day in the summer, but like I said my skin is just too sensitive during the winter.
- Again, coconut oil! I can’t explain how great it is for helping keep my skin hydrated, I’d be lost without it. I use a ton at night and pull my hair back into a braid so it doesn’t get greasy.
- I sleep with a humidifier and I think this is probably the biggest game changer in my routine. I only started doing this about two months ago and now oftentimes I will wake up with perfectly hydrated and plump skin. It doesn’t give magical results every night but it happens quite frequently now when it never did before. If you have super dry skin I highly recommend in investing in one of these to see if it helps!
Like I said, my system isn’t perfect but it has made a huge difference. If you have dry skin you know how painful and annoying it can be, so hopefully this helps you a little bit. I am always looking for skincare tips to help hydrate my skin so I would be beyond appreciative if you left your best tip down in the comments below!