Happy New Year, everyone! This income report marks my first full year tracking my blog’s income, and I am still in a bit of disbelief over my being able to turn this into a full time job for myself! If you’ve been around for a while you know why I do these posts every month, but in case you’re new, let me explain:
- To monitor my growth. I take blogging seriously, and it’s something I hope to do for the rest of my life. It’s exciting and inspiring to be able to track my numbers and see what does and doesn’t work!
- To be transparent. Ok, guys. There are a million and one ways that you can make money on the internet and most of them are pretty sketchy. I like to be clear about where my income is coming from so you don’t think I’m taking advantage of my readers!
- To inspire. Ok, lets be honest here. There are so many amazing girl bosses and business mavens roaming around the internet world, but a lot of them are tight lipped on how they are making money. And of course, to each their own. A lot of people think it’s rude to talk about money so they don’t, but my philosophy is: if my talking about money helps people then I’m going to do it. When I started monetizing I’d kill to have someone telling me that it was possible and showing actual proof. So that’s what I’m trying to do for you.
December Income Report
Now we can get into it: December, oh what a month it was. With finals and moving and big changes galore I took it easy when it came to the blog. Most of my blogging energy went to my new launch, but I still managed to post ten times, which falls a bit short of my 15 posts a month goal (which is now updated, I’ll tell you all about that later!) but I was still happy with that given the circumstances.
What I did this month.
I’m going to be honest and say my main focus was on not losing my mind, really. I did a few exciting sponsored posts, and I went back and re-optimized SEO on old posts to get traffic flowing. I focused on SEO in preparation of my new launch, because I redirected my all time most popular post from Mostly Morgan over to Morgan Timm and I knew that it was going to cost me around 2000 daily page views.
The good news is that the optimization really paid off! Two posts that used to get around 50 views a day are now getting around 300, which is a massive increase in a short amount of time!
How I optimized:
- Added new (better!) images that had alt tags containing my focus keyword for the post. Then I pinned these new images to Pinterest!
- Revamped headlines to draw in readers.
- Added links to related posts to decrease my bounce rate and give my site some more Google juice overall.
- Made sure my Yoast plug-in was giving me a green light!
- I added more value – a lot of my old posts had good information, but they were really short. On MM I strive for my posts to be at least 500 words, and some of them were only 300.
I focused on posts that were helpful, but had a lot of room for improvement. To find the posts I wanted to fix I went on Google Analytics and clicked through to find posts that weren’t getting many views but had great content. I’m still fixing a few posts a week!
Her Campus – $485
Host Gator (from this post, where I show YOU how to make a blog!) – $450
Tap Influence – $400
Blogher Ads – $194.42
Amazon Affiliates – $20.98
YouTube – $2.73
The Blog Hive – $166.67 (I’m dividing the cost of this (amazing!) course by the 3 months it spans)
Hosting – $6.83
Adobe Lightroom – $10.61
Total Income: $1369.02
I am really happy with this month’s income, given the circumstances! It it had been a month full of crazy blog stress and hustling, it wouldn’t quite meet my expectations, but given that I was a mess of stress and not babying my blog the way it deserves, this is fabulous!
As always, I calculated how many hours I would have to work at a minimum wage job to earn what I did blogging, and it came to 166 hours. That breaks down to 41 hours a week, or working 8 hour days 5 days a week. Blogging has been one of the biggest blessings in my life for a million reasons, relieving the stress of working while in college is just one of them. If you’re looking to start a blog (at a discounted price!) I walk you through the process here.
CAN YOU MAKE MONEY BLOGGING?
Yes! If you are interested in making a profitable blog – I would be more than happy to help! I have an incredibly detailed guide to setting up a blog here, and from there you can check out my blogging tips (there are a lot!) and if you need any further help – email me! I absolutely love talking about blogging (my friends and family are sick of hearing about it!) so do not hesitate.
And, of course, I promised y’all a double doozy giveaway on last month’s income report! That means two(!) people can win a mini-blog consult with me! What that means for you is a complete blog + social media audit and thorough, actionable steps that you can take to improve your blog, drive more traffic, and work with brands!
a Rafflecopter giveaway